Our February meeting was fun, interactive, and highly educational. Jennifer Santospago, owner of Dreams 2 Reality, shared tips and ideas for how to fit taking care of yourself into our busy daily lives.
The women in attendance walked away with a better awareness of how the body, mind, and spirit are all connected and the reality that we may experience physical pain when we’re stressed, frustrated, or simply overwhelmed.
Jennifer stressed how important it is to take the time to listen to our bodies and react appropriately. If there’s pain, move! Movment increases bloodflow and helps to shift things. Stand, walk, stretch, or exercise. Or just push your chair away from your desk and give yourself 10 minutes to regroup and reconnect with yourself.
Jennifer also shared some simple movements that can be done right at your office desk.
- Stand up and firmly ground your feet. Then relax your shoulders by rolling them back and down while taking 5-10 deep cleansing breaths.
- Take full deep breaths in through the nose, breathing down to your core and then a bit more. Exhale out through your mouth until there is nothing left, making a noise like a long sigh is great. This breathing exercise can be done from standing or sitting.
- Sit on the edge of your chair and grasp the sides. Do ten knee raises.
- Sit on the edge of your chair, place your hands behind your neck, and do 10 elbow to knee sit ups.
- Sit on your chair and grasp the sides. Extend your legs out in front of you and flutter kick for 60 seconds.
- Sit on your chair and grasp the sides. Extend your legs out in front of you and crunch up one leg at a time for 10 counts.
- Stand in the corner, one hand on each wall, and do standing push ups.
- Take a break and go for a 15-minute walk outside or even inside if there’s room.
She also talked about how making good food choices can significantly help the way we feel. Trying and eating new foods should be part of our regular diet. Even foods you initially don’t like may become something you do like. Jennifer talked about how heavy foods can make us feel weighed down, while lighter options provide energy without leaving us feeling lethargic.
And perhaps Jennifer’s most important tip was to always remember to give ourselves positive feedback! Stop and acknowledge accomplishments … even the small ones. Be nice to yourself. And get used to changing the criticizing mental audio to positive statements like, I am worthy. I am capable. I’ve got this!
Thank you Jennifer for such a fun and informative meeting!